There aren't many times where we read about food helping hormones and the balance of them. Usually when we hear "hormonal problems," most think of solutions not extending much further than birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy. (You can check out my post about birth control pills by clicking this link).
This post is going to show you the old mantra of "food is medicine" by showing how seeds can help support and regulate menstrual cycles! This is actually called "seed rotation" and can be used to boost estrogen levels in the first part of the cycle and progesterone in the second.
Who is this for?
This can be used by anyone who's been dealing with irregular cycles, heavy flows, PMS and those even going through peri-menopause and menopause. What you're going to read is based on a 30-day cycle.
Which seeds should be used and in what part of the cycle?
Peri-menopause and menopausal women can start anytime and rotate the seeds every 2 weeks.
Pre-menopausal women will have a different cycle than those in menopause.
- Day 1 - Day 15 (middle of the cycle): the body needs more estrogen in order to build up the endometrium (uterine lining) and this is called the follicular phase.
- Seeds such as: FLAXSEED & PUMPKIN SEEDS
- 1 Tablespoon EACH day can naturally increase your estrogen levels
- Days 15 - 30 (second part of the cycle): the body needs progesterone because the corpus luteum begins to release progesterone. This part of the cycle is called the luteal phase. Progesterone, also known as the sex hormone, will help thicken the uterine lining and prepare it for implantation.
- Seeds such as SESAME SEEDS & SUNFLOWER SEEDS have been shown to stimulate the progesterone production.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of sesame & 1 Tablespoon of sunflower seeds per day
- Adding these 2 seeds will help naturally support the body to produce more progesterone, which many women experience low levels of.
What about women who do not menstruate or who are menopausal and post-menopausal?
Seed rotation can still help these women. If you are pre-menopausal and not cycling, start the seed rotation any time you'd like and do two weeks of each seed rotation (check out the chart below).
Those who've had a hysterectomy or have already entered menopause, you can start anytime and keep each seed combination (like flax and pumpkin) for 1 - 2 weeks and then switch to the other two.
So what does a balanced cycle look like?
Other than being regular, there are more reasons beyond that. So many of us women are used to feeling awful before our period, and some mid-cycle as well and we all assume it's completely normal. I'm here to tell you, IT'S NOT!
High Estrogen: can cause tender breasts, mood swings, hair loss, weight gain, fibroids, endometriosis, breast and ovarian cysts and even breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
Low Progesterone: Can have similar symptoms as above, but also with feeling anxious, not being able to stay or fall asleep, menstrual headaches, infertility, and possibly miscarriages.
Rebalancing your cycle, using the simple seed technique can help alleviate these symptoms in as little as 1-2 months!
In a perfectly healthy woman, the menstrual cycle and estrogen/progesterone production will happen naturally, but with most, this isn't the case. With excessive stress, which most women deal with, this leads to excessive cortisol (stress hormone) release, environmental toxins, poor diet, food sensitivities, digestive issues, caffeine overload, drinking alcohol can also all contribute to irregular cycles, painful periods and possibly infertility.
With supporting the body with foods that are organic and natural is a cheap and easy non-invasive way to help regulate! It works and is gentle on the body!