We all love our comfort foods and one of mine is spaghetti. It reminds me of my childhood & the smell of the sauce simmering on the stove is heavenly. My mom has been making this sauce ever since I can remember and I have since been making it in our home and the twins also love it (minus the Tabasco sauce).
I do not eat my spaghetti with pasta or even gluten-free pasta (I find those are full of fillers and not healthy at all), instead, I use spaghetti squash! At 40 calories per cup, you get the texture of spaghetti without the guilt! And bonus, the husband loves it too! I do make the twins veggie pasta and add in a bit of spaghetti squash into their bowls.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have!
Spaghetti Sauce (I will post a few variations)
- 2-3lbs — lean ground beef (I use 93%) (I’ve also used ground turkey breast)
- 2 — small cooking onions or 1 large one
- 1 — 10oz can of tomato paste
- 1 — 7.5oz can of tomato sauce (recipe calls for tomato soup but there’s gluten in it so I’ve changed it to tomato sauce) (I’ve also V8 vegetable juice as a substitute – such as when you’re moving & trying to get rid of things in the cupboard)
- 1 — 28oz can of diced tomatoes (I sometimes add more)
- 1-3 Cups — water (only if needed)
- 1 teaspoon — celery seed
- 3 Tablespoons — sugar (since I don’t do sugar, I substitute for stevia)
- 3 teaspoons — salt
- 3 Tablespoons — Worcestershire sauce (since there’s gluten, I just add 3 Tbsp. of liquid amino’s)
- 1 teaspoon — garlic salt
- 2-3 drops — Tabasco sauce (I add more for the hubs and I)
- 1 teaspoon — basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons — oregano
- 1 teaspoon — pepper
- **I’ve also added red pepper flakes to add some spice**
- Combine above ingredients & simmer.
- Brown & cook ground beef, rinse & drain. Add to simmering sauce.
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Wash squash.
- Cut the squash length wise and scrape out the seeds.
- Put in a microwave safe dish face down with some water to steam.
- Microwave on high for approx. 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool as it’ll be steaming hot inside & out.
- Scrape out the inside with a fork and serve!