So, I was googling paleo carrot cake recipes for Easter & who doesn’t love a delicious carrot cake? I was thinking about trying to make my husband’s grandmother’s recipe (which I will one day), but that meant driving 30 min to the other side of town to get gluten free flours to substitute for flour and since we’re moving in less than 2 weeks (yay!), that wasn’t an option and I needed to use ingredients we had anyways. So I founds this AMAZING recipe from Primal Palate, and I’m so excited to be close to a Whole Foods to try their amazing Cappellos Gluten Free Cookie Dough (might be a BAD thing!)
Anyways, next time I make this recipe and the icing, I will use dairy-free cream cheese (not an option by our home) since regular cream cheese killed me (but honestly it was 110% worth the pain!)
Carrot Cake (serves 10-12)
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 10 omega 3 eggs
- 5 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup pure maple syrup (reserve 1 tablespoon for date mixture)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 medjool dates
- Chopped raw walnuts for garnish
- In a food processor, using the grating blade, shred carrots.
- Place carrots in a large ziplock bag. Pour maple syrup over carrots and let marinate in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a small mixing bowl, add sifted coconut flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl, or Kitchen Aid mixer, blend eggs, vanilla, melted coconut oil, and *date mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and blend.
- Stir in grated carrots, discarding excess maple syrup that they soaked in.
- Grease two 9 inch cake pans with coconut oil. (You can also line the bottom of the cake pans with parchment paper for easier removal)
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Test center with a tooth pick-if the tooth pick comes out clean, then the cakes are done.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool.
- Frost cake, garnish with walnuts, and serve!
- Remove pits from dates and place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add one tablespoon water to the dates and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Mash with a fork, add 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, and mash with a fork again.
- 16 oz full fat cream cheese
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger root
- Bring cream cheese up to room temperature.
- Blend all ingredients with a hand mixer or Kitchen Aid Mixer.
- Use right away, or refrigerate.